Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Port, Pooch and 2 Flowers

Hello my fellow bloggers.

This is part 2 of the port post that I started for Graciy & Josh however several other people have since asked me about it and left some comments so...
A home health nurse came by today to re access M. You have to get the needle changed ( called re accessing ) every 7 days ( Well you dont have to if you want a port infection. You wouldnt do a aerosol with a moldy nebulizer so lets not do iv's with an old needle.) so I took pictures of M's chest with the needle out just for Graciy & Josh to know its not a 3rd nipple lol ;) and I also took pictures of the re accessing so you can see up close how it works. Most cf moms and wifes/husbands can and do re access, I however DO NOT because I am terrified Im going to stab the wrong spot! Everyone keeps telling me thats pretty impossible but Im still a chicken ( leave me alone! I do all the other cf stuff ) Well I dont take the needle out either lol =P. When you take the needle out its just like pulling a thumb tack out of a cork board.. I did it a few times and I can do it I just dont like to. I always think it hurts even tho M dont flinch and swears he dont feel a thing.. idk just dont like doing those 2 things ( I am capable of doing them and have before, they are both quite simple its just a personal preference )

Anyway these pictures are not entertaining or anything fun they are just for learning and info. for the ones of you who asked about it.

Photobucket
Needle out ( de accessed )

Photobucket
Up close needle.

Photobucket
Bald spot!! He always shaves that little part when he gets accessed.. for some reason he dont like the tape ripping out his hairs..hmmm??

Photobucket
Nurse getting ready.

Photobucket
Michael ready.

Photobucket
Priming/Flushing the line ( pushing saline in it )

Photobucket
Coat 1 of Betadine

Photobucket
Coat 2

Photobucket
Swabbing off with an alcohol stick.

Photobucket
As clean as possible.

Photobucket
Finding the port with her fingers.

Photobucket
Sticking in the needle ( accessing )

Photobucket
All the way in

Photobucket
Double check make sure its in and secure.

Photobucket
Flush and make sure it goes in the vein.

Photobucket
Flush with one complete thing of saline.

Photobucket
You pull back after you have flushed to make sure you get a "blood return".

Photobucket
When you see this you know you have successfully accessed or re accessed a port meaning you are in the right spot ( center of port ) and iv's will go directly in to the vein that the port line runs to.

Photobucket
Push blood and saline back in.

Photobucket
All the way.

Photobucket
Accessed and almost done

Photobucket
Quickly apply tegaderm.

Photobucket
Seal off the site.. Keep germs away!!

Photobucket
Accessed and ready to go.

Photobucket
Michael thought it would be funny to give the nurse a hard time since it was her 1st time meeting him and he acted like she really hurt him when she poked him.. she was like oh my I so sorry then he started laughing so when she was done she squirted him in the face with a new thing of saline!! Quite funny!! so here he is getting the saline off his face =)

Photobucket
Classic Michael! He swears his "boobie tassel" is what won me over.




Oh and update on Pooch.. Hes groggy ( yea more so than normal ) and he just may have to go live somewhere else ( Michael dont know yet eeekkk ) I have found out quite a bit about this cat cancer/aids and according to a few people ( vet and doctor oh yea and google ) it could cause some major problems for M. So... Michaels gonna be pretty upset but this is just 1 of those things that cant be helped =(.

Photobucket

Happy news!!
I have 2 beautiful flowers today instead of 1

Photobucket

Off to tell M about Poo.. wish me luck =/


xox

4 comments:

  1. That really stinks about Pooch. I'm sorry! Great pics about the port, too. We haven't had to deal with that, so it is interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see you removed the third nipple! It heeled so fast!

    Really though, thanks for the post. It seems just like a pic line but with out the fishing.

    Joshua and I have talked about asking one next time he goes in for a tune-up. We will just have to see what the doctor says.

    Sorry about the kitty Pooch. It really sucks but hubby always comes before kitty. I hope there someway you can keep them both =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for all the info and pics. I'm learning so much from you 2, I love it:)

    I do have some questions though if you don't mind answering...
    1. Did it hurt getting the port put in?
    2. Is that a scar I see where they put the port in?
    3. Why do a port in that spot? Is there a certain reason why they don't do the iv in the arm?
    4. Does it hurt when the needle goes in or comes out?
    5. Can you take a picture of the whole thing, the whole IV line and what it is hooked up to?
    6. How often do you need the IV? Only when he is sick or every so often?
    7. Why did he have to get it at such a young age?

    Sorry for all the questions. I just like to be prepared for when my son has to get one.
    Thanks, I'll stop bugging you now:)
    M

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post was so fascinating! I don't have a port, so this was really helpful for me. The port seems so much easier than dealing with a dang PICC!

    I'm so sorry to hear about poor kitty Pooch. :(

    ReplyDelete